Sunday, March 11, 2018

The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning

Hi Folks !
How are you and how's Life ?!

Mine is still swinging !
Does what happen on 1st of January, have a bearing on the rest of the year ?!
Mine was a roller coaster and fun !

Let me tell you -
I was to fly from Chandigarh to Jaipur by the 11.15 flight after a wonderful reunion with dear friends of many decades.

They dropped me through thick fog ( normal, you know, they said !) and as the check-in was some time away, I sat down with a hundred others who were there for their flights.
The fog was thick, wouldn't move at all, and eventually all the flights were cancelled !

My friends came right back to pick me up and as I was determined to go to Jaipur by taxi, we hired one.
Two friends who were to leave the next day, decided to leave with me because the weather reports were announcing that over 350 flights had been cancelled to and from Delhi, trains were late or cancelled, all roads were blocked and they had no idea how long this fog would last!

We left after lunch and c-r-a-w-l-e-d !
The fog was dense and unmoving and we could have cut it with a knife !

I hadn't seen such a still blanket before, so was clicking away on my mobile rather thoughtlessly.
From morning to night, it was the same - you couldn't say what time of the day it was !

Soon enough, our batteries ran out, only one worked at 10%, the taxi did not have a charger, the bus to Jaipur was out as it left at 6 pm and even the Rajdhani looked doubtful !

I was not willing to stay the night in Gurgaon and reach Jaipur the next day and they did not want me to travel at night !
We were 45 minutes away from Gurgaon station when it left New Delhi to reach Gurgaon in - 45 minutes !

Google maps showed one wrong turn and we went into the craziest, narrowest maze of roads behind the station.
Finally we entered the station and laughing and squealing, sprinted the last 100 mtrs with my suitcase, just as the train was being announced !

Since this spectacular beginning, the year has so far been full of more travel and friends and fun, though without this drama !

I think you just have to tell the universe you are ready to enjoy, without going into minute details.
It knows you very well and organizes everything so much better !

Back home with my Pali classes at the University, I am enjoying being a student.

Do you enter this role at least once in a while ?
Of learning,listening, thinking -

Do it.
There are so many workshops, hobby classes, fun things to do these days.
It's refreshing, to say the least, specially if you do not palpitate over grades !
Just participate and take in and relax.

Now there's something interesting I want to tell you.
About The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning.

About 7 years ago, I gave away about 60 of my very beautiful sarees to my dear relatives who wore sarees regularly, because I was not.

About 2 years ago, a cousin was reading Marie Kondo's book ' The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' .
I browsed, went through MarieKon's You-tube videos and straightened my house !

Now I have neat see - through bags and covers for clothes, files, registers - everything !
Everything remains neat and dust-free and I can see the whole folded pile etc to know exactly what is where.

Along the way, I gave away a lot of stuff, emptied out the lofts and felt the sleepy energy dancing through my house.

A month ago, I read this intriguing book by Margareta Magnusson and after going through the review, sent for it.

It's a book everyone should read as soon as possible.
It tells you all the practical stuff about what to do with things when you are alive, so that your dear ones are not stuck about what to do with them when you are dead.

(If you didn't know what to do with it all, how will they ?! Spare them the pain and tension and confusion !).

We think of money and property and bonds and jewellry, and some times make arrangements for them.
Maybe draw up a will, give this to so and so and that to the other and donate this and give this to charity and so on.
Everyone should do this, man and woman, more so if the spouse is gone.

But what about all the other stuff so lovingly collected, stored away ?
Those old pictures, curios, family - hand - me downs, the frames and brass and copper articles ?

This book has short, clear chapters on all such issues we are going to face when someone close to us dies and we have to clear up their belongings.
The author is Swedish, so some of her methods of disposal are not available to us in India.
Like auctioning.

Instead, we have a vast, vast network of layers and layers of populace, each of which will be eligible for all the stuff you want to donate.

There are portals to sell online, if you wish, and some  furniture or electronic goods you do not want can be monetized.

I went through this type of final cleaning when my mother died and luckily, she had done most of the clearing herself when she was alive and well.

I have started for myself, all healthy and in fine fettle, but excited about a thorough decluttering.
What exactly does it entail ?

Go through the clothes and be honest.
It is good to give when the things are in good shape and can be used many times over.
Same goes for shoes and bags and pouches and purses.

Books are a difficult lot.
Ask your children which ones they want.
You can make a pile, click a picture and send them !
Ask your friends and relatives, then give them away to a few libraries.

My extra crockery, cutlery, containers have gone to happy homes.
Soon, so will a lot of unused kitchen stuff.
And linen !

Sort family photos, decide what you want to give whom, ask them if they want, then proceed.
Go through your personal letters and notes or written material once and burn or shred them and feel the release !

I had original hand - written manuscripts of all my novels and stories, all of which have been published !
I kept only one copy each of the published ones and tore the rest.

It was not saddening at all, I was struck at how clean and empty the storage beneath my bed was, and find I sleep more deeply, am relaxed and happy, breathing easily.

Mentally, I am adjusting myself to living in a small space with the bare essentials and checking what constitute those for me.
In the process, I am learning about myself too !

I still have attachments which I can get rid of.
I can still do a lot and plan to, soon.

My home is large, spacious and beautiful.
It was not cluttered to begin with, but with this exercise, I am the one who's even more uncluttered !

Read these books.
Dwell on the concepts.
Meditate.

It will be rewarding for you too.
Take care.

No comments: